[Review] Veronica Roth - Allegiant

Title: Allegiant (Goodreads)
Series: Divergent #3
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Published: October 2013
ISBN13: 9780062287335
Pages: 526
Rating: 4/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 13 April 2015
Finish: 14 April 2015

This review contains spoilers from the previous books.
Review:
This is going to be another review where I don't put the synopsis of the book because I don't like the Goodreads' version and I'm not in the mood to write one. Shouldn't have been a big news if you had read my previous posts this month :))

"The kind that wants to leave the city," she says. "They released some kind of manifesto this morning. They call themselves the Allegiant." When she sees my confused look, she adds, "Because they're allied with the original purpose of our city, see?"

And now... my thoughts about this book. This is the third and final book in Divergent Trilogy. I started this book, pretty pumped up, to find out the truth about their nations. Why there are factions in the future, what's the purpose, and so on. Yet the beginning of the book is so slow that I put it off for so many hours. I kept on picking the book, read a few pages, then put them down. Over and over again. Finally my curiosity wins and I push myself to finish this book asap. And it got better, eventually.

I know that change is difficult, and comes slowly, and that it is the work of many days strung together in a long line until the origin of them is forgotten.

There are 2 POV in this book, Tris and Tobias. For the first time, we're going to be inside of Tobias' mind. And I remember thinking that Tobias is either too childish or too girly. It turned out that the writing style on Tobias' POV is just the same with Tris' POV that I had get used to, not the masculine version that I expected. The only logical reason why I can switch between the different POV without being confused is because I read the clue whether it was Tobias or Tris' POV in the beginning of every chapter so I know how to position myself in the book. If you haven't read this book, I suggest you to do the same. It helps.

The truth about Divergent and the fractions system didn't surprise me. But I remembered that it was pretty annoying that the whole Genetically Damaged (GD) and Genetically Pure (GP) thingy *spoilers* is considered as such a big deal. It was... so stupid and shallow. Sorry for the harsh words, but I don't know what else to say. It was something that we can't change, it's who we are, so why did the government need to emphasis this issue so much? So shallow.

"Some of the people here want to blame genetic damage for everything," he says. "It's easier for them to accept that the truth, which is that they can't know everything about people and why they act the way they do."

The most important part of this book... the ending. Again, I have to say that it was such a great experience for me to read this book without getting much spoilers. Because the ending is so unpredictable for me, something that I hadn't seen coming. And yes, it gave me all the feels. At first I was denying the truth, thinking that there will be another twists coming. Nope. No more twists. This is the ending, and it sucks. 

After a while, I started to gather my thoughts, watching some of my favorite booktuber reactions about this book and it finally hit me. The ending is perfect. It reflected the characters' true personality: selfless, brave, and so on. And I started to realize that even though the whole trilogy has so many flaws, it's perfect for me. 

There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger that yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.
But sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it is nothing more that gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life.
That is the sort of bravery I must have now.

A good book in my definition is something that I can learn from. And I learnt a LOT from this book. The character developments, their moral compass, the friendships, and the values that they hold on to. So it's a good book for me and therefore I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher