December 2017 Book Haul & Wrap Up

Hi there! Happy new year! Good bye 2017, with all the good and bad memories. And welcome 2018, may you bring new hope and energy for the upcoming year :D

Last December was a pretty hectic, happy, sad, crazy, and frustrating month. So many things happened, both good and bad for me. It's not an easy month, but finally it passed.

December 2017 Book Haul
I have been saving some money for December because there's a Harbolnas event coming up and I know I'm going to spend a lot of money because of the outrageous deals (check out my December 2016 as well as January 2017 posts for proof ;) ). And I was right, because Gramedia.com held another sweet Harbolnas deals, complete with free shipping, so I can buy as many books as I desired and able to. So here it is, my still-not-complete books that I acquired on December 2017:


 

Gramedia.com (before Harbolnas):
1. Disney Scary Storybook Collection

Gramedia.com (Harbolnas part 1):
1. Pramoedya Ananta Toer - Anak Semua Bangsa
2. Pramoedya Ananta Toer - Jejak Langkah
3. Pramoedya Ananta Toer - Rumah Kaca
4. Neil Gaiman - Fortunately, the Milk (terj.)
5. Zootopia
6. Dya Ragil - Raindrops Serenade
7. A. Fuadi - Anak Rantau
8. Winna Efendi - Happily Ever After
9. Winna Efendi - Someday
10. Akiyoshi Rikako - Girls in the Dark
11. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes Short Stories #1
12. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes Short Stories #2
13. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes Short Stories #3
14. Cardcaptor Sakura #5
15. Cardcaptor Sakura #6
16. Cardcaptor Sakura #7
17. Cardcaptor Sakura #8
18. Cardcaptor Sakura #9
19. Cardcaptor Sakura #10

Gramedia.com (Harbolnas part 2):
1. Tim Buku TEMPO - Soedirman Seorang Panglima, Seorang Martir
2. Tim Buku TEMPO - Gelap-Terang Hidup Kartini
3. Tim Buku TEMPO - Agus Salim: Diplomat Jenaka Penopang Republik
4. Tim Buku TEMPO - Hatta: Jejak yang Melampaui Zaman
5. Enid Blyton - Si Kembar di Sekolah yang Baru
6. Enid Blyton - Kelas Tiga di Malory Towers
7. Enid Blyton - Box Set Seri Kumbang
8. Big Hero 6: Hiro to the Rescue


Wrap Up December 2017
On early December, I noticed that there are some challenges from my 2017 Reading Challenges that I haven't completed yet. Since it seemed doable at that time (little did I know how my month was going to be), I decided to read books that will solely help me achieve my 2017 reading goals. So, here are the 9 books that I managed to read on December:

 

1. Emma Grace - Re-write
It's been a while since I last read Emma Grace's book, Pay It Forward, but I distinctly remember that it made me feel warm and happy. And so does this book. To be honest, the conflict are pretty common and the characters are not that great. But the whole thing, combine with the writing style, made this book a very nice read and I really enjoy it. So 4.5 out of 5 stars.

2. Ernita Dietjeria - Kumpulan Dongeng Terlezat Sedunia
Since I still need to read 5 books from a new-to-me author, I decided to pick this book up. And just like the title said, it made me quite hungry for some sweet as well as savory dishes. Overall there are some awesome stories that I enjoy very much, as well as some 'okay' stories. At the end, I gave it 3.5 out of stars.

 

3. Fajar Nugros - Adriana
This book spine caught my attention as I was browsing through my bookshelf. And I got pretty curious that I took this book for my next read. I think the story was okay, and I like the history aspect in this book. But in the middle of the book I got bored and confused at times. At the end, I think this is a decent book but definitely not my cup of tea. So 3 out of 5 stars.

4. Iwan Setyawan - 9 Summers 10 Autumns
This is a book that was recommended to me by my friend a while ago. It also had been turned into a movie a few years ago. Yet both of those things didn't stop me from disliking this book. I don't know if it's because of the translation or how the book was written, but I can't get into the writing style. I don't enjoy the story, as well as the 'relationship' between Iwan and the little boy. Then after about 100 something pages, things started to progress so fast I can't even follow it. At the end, I just skim this book to get over it. So 1.5 out of 5 stars for this book.

 

5. Clara Ng - Dongeng Sekolah Tebing
This book contains 52 stories that centers around Sekolah Tebing. What I like about this book is how those stories came from multiple POVs, both human and animal. It was a very nice read and even though I liked some stories more than the other, it was a decent book. The illustrations are also great, minus some parts where the stories and the illustrations show different things. But overall, 4 out of 5 stars for Si Manis :)

6. Pramoedya Ananta Toer - Bumi Manusia
This is the first Pramoedya Ananta Toer's book that I've finished. And I really really enjoyed it. This is not an easy book to read, that's for sure. Both the writing style as well as the settings of the story is not something that I'm familiar with. But with that in mind, it was a bit of an accomplishment for me to finish this book in about 2 weeks. As for the book itself, I gave it 4 stars and I'm planning to continue reading this quartet in the near future.

 

7. Suarcani - Rule of Thirds
This book was pretty hyped a few months ago. It's like everywhere I go, people are talking about this book. With that in mind, I expected something great from it. And it's not bad, not at all, just not that 'great' for me. What I like about this book: the story line. What I dislike about this book: the same writing style used for Ladys as well as Dias' POV. So, 4 out of 5 stars for this book.

8. Dongeng Hans Christian Andersen
This is definitely a filler book because I'm 400-ish pages short for one of my 2017 reading challenges. But surprisingly, I enjoy this book so much. There's only a few stories here that I've heard/read/watch. So there's plenty of stories that I read for the first time in this book. And it was super nice and fun and sad (sometimes). The illustrations are really good and I liked the little biography at the end of the book. So 4.5 out of 5 stars for this book :)


9. Enid Blyton - Si Babi Ungu dan Cerita-Cerita Lain
I picked this book up for the same reason as I picked Dongeng Hans Christian Andersen. And just like that book, I enjoy the stories here very very much. I love the moral values that this book taught me and I think this will be very appropriate for young children. I can definitely see myself, at the age of 7-9, reading and loving these stories so much. I can't wait to read another stories from this box set. Definitely 4.5 out of 5 stars :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals