October and November 2017 Book Haul & Wrap Up

Hi there! It's been so long since I posted in this blog, I even missed last month's wrap up and book haul. To make it easier, I decided to combine last month's wrap up and book haul to this month. So here it is, my October and November 2017 wrap up as well as book haul:

October 2017 Book Haul

November 2017 Book Haul

As you can see, my book buying habit hasn't slowed down and I acquired quite a lot of books in the past couple months. They are:
  1. Aqessa Aninda - Secangkir Kopi dan Pencakar Langit
  2. Ernita Dietjeria - Kumpulan Dongeng Terlezat Sedunia
  3. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  4. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  5. Arleen A - Then & Now
  6. Ally Carter - Out of Sight, Out of Mind
  7. Kompas - Kenari Kecil dari Kalabahi dan 29 Kisah Inspiratif Anak Indonesia
  8. Clara Ng - Dongeng Sekolah Tebing
  9. Emma Cline - The Girls
  10. Susan Dennard - Truthwitch
  11. Marissa Meyer - Cinder
  12. Marissa Meyer - Cress
  13. Annisa Ihsani - Teka-Teki Terakhir
  14. Annisa Ihsani - A Hole in the Head
  15. Miranda Malonka - Orbit Tiga Mimpi
  16. Suarcani - Welcome Home, Rain
  17. Tere Liye - Bintang
That was it, the total of 17 books that I acquired for 2 months. Out of those 17 books, there are only a few of them that I have read. Most of them went straight to my pile of TBR books.

October 2017 Wrap Up

Last October, I managed to read 5 books. They may seem small but one of them is actually a carry-on from September and it was a very huge book. So without further ado, here they are:

 


1. Patrick Ness - Monsters of Men
This is the last book in the Chaos Walking Trilogy and I love it! The characters, the new POV, the plot, everything about this book. Yes, there are some slow parts and it took me a while to finish this book but it all paid off at the end. I also liked the way this book ended because that's just the way dystopian stories should be. So... 5 out of 5 stars for this book.

2. Jenny Han - It's Not Summer Without You
Since I just finished the Chaos Walking trilogy, I'm in the mood to finish another trilogy that I owned: the Summer trilogy by Jenny Han. So I decided to pick it up and also lower my expectation because the first book, for me, didn't live up to the hype. Overall, I liked this book way more than the first book. I think the best part about this book, about the whole trilogy honestly, is the way Belly, Jeremiah, and Conrad deal with grieving. It's just so real and I can definitely relate to them. So 4 out of 5 stars for this book.

 

3. Emma Donoghue - Room
I remember picking this book up because I wanted to join a 24 hour book-a-thon. I failed the book-a-thon, of course. But the thing that I always remember about this book is how nauseated I was in some parts of this book. I just can't help it. But this is actually a pretty good book, once I can get over my nausea and also power through the slow part in the beginning. Overall, I think it's a decent book and so I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

4. Jenny Han - We'll Always Have Summer
As the conclusion of the Summer trilogy, I think this book was okay. There's definitely a pretty exciting conflict and I think it gave the book a bit of a 'kick' that it needed. I don't mean to badmouthed this book but to be honest, other than that conflict and the character growth, there's not much happening in this book. So unfortunately I can only give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.


5. A.A. Milne - Winnie the Pooh
I first saw this book on last year's BBW Surabaya. Unfortunately, because my budget was so limited last year, I was unable to buy it. But thankfully, on this year's BBW Jakarta, I get to buy this book through a shopper (jastip). Over all, this book was a bit shocking for me to read, because I didn't think that it will be this... wild. I mean, yes, I know they lived in the forest but I didn't think it will reflect on the story that much. Turned out I was wrong. So overall 4 out of 5 stars for this book and maybe I should take some time before picking up the next book in the series.

November 2017 Wrap Up

In November 2017, I barely picked up any book. Things are so hectic at my workplace. And even though I'm able to come home at a pretty decent hours (for some days), I'm definitely exhausted. So here they are, 3 books that I managed to finish on November:

 

1. Aqessa Aninda - Secangkir Kopi dan Pencakar Langit
This book was pretty hyped and unfortunately it didn't deliver, at least for me. Even though it was nice to read something so close to me (I'm a business analyst, in case you're wondering), I can't stand the writing style that much. It's just too repetitive and trying to explain something that didn't need to be explained. So only 3 out of 5 stars for this book.

2. Winna Efendi - One Little Thing Called Hope
I liked how Winna Efendi, as well as Windry Ramadhani, wrote books that are not 'common' and sometimes talked about taboo things. But both of them always wrap the message and the moral values in those story beautifully that I ended up feeling happy, sad, entertained, worry, angry, and etc. It's just so good. And this book is no different. I enjoy reading it and would definitely recommend people to pick this up. 5 out of 5 stars.


3. Sarah Crossan - One
Since I'm in the mood to read a short-ish book, I decided to pick this up. And no, it's not short or even easy to read. It was pretty hard, actually. To see things from Grace POV, to see things that I, as a person, often said or think but never realized how shallow it was. It's definitely not easy. Overall, 4 out of 5 stars because I get to learn things from a new perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals