August 2017 Book Haul & Wrap Up

Hello there! Another month has passed by and now it's September. August.. is not really good for me in terms of book buying. But since I got my 'arisan' money on August, I think I can justify my book buying habit this month :D

August 2017 Book Haul

Some of the books that I got are used. Some others I bought from bookdepository or hematbuku. Yes, I did order another book from that online shop and just try to be patience about it. Thankfully they did arrive this month.

Used books:
1. Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 1-4.
2. Robin Sloan - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
3. Gayle Forman - Where She Went

Bookdepository:
1. Neil Gaiman - Stardust
2. V.E. Schwab - Vicious
3. Naomi Novik - Uprooted

Hematbuku:
1. Alanda Kariza - Sophismata
2. Ally Carter - United We Spy
3. AliaZalea - Boy Toy
4. Seplia - Three Sisters
5. Winna Effendi - Some Kind of Wonderful

August 2017 Wrap Up
Even though I've been buying so many books this month, I also managed to finish plenty of them. Here are the 11 books that I managed to finish in August:

 

1. Luna Torashyngu - Angel's Heart
I think this book can taught many things for teenagers that read it. I personally didn't like it that much because there's too much telling part in this book. I barely know Angel or her mother, let alone relate to their problem. Another thing about this book, is the fact that the writing style is so melodramatic. It's just too much for me to handle, so 2 out of 5 stars for this book.

2. John Tiffany & Jack Thorne - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
I read this book with 3 things in my mind: mixed reviews, not a book by JK Rowling, and play script. With that in mind, I actually managed to enjoy this book a lot and having no problem with the way it was written or how 'different' the characters are in this book. I love Albus and Scorpius so much, and that is why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

 

3. Sue Monk Kidd - The Invention of Wings
This is a huge book with a very hard story to get into. And I mean it. I guess I enjoy the story in this book, not because it was oh-so-fun or anything, but because it made me learn about racism that happened in America at that moment. And you can bet that some parts in this book made me uncomfortable. With that being said, I also found the story sometimes felt so refreshing and it made me see things from many perspective. So at the end, I finally gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

4. Bernard Batubara - Surat Untuk Ruth
I picked this up because I need something light to read. And it is.. light. I liked it, but at the same time I think it's just too mellow for my taste. So 3 out of 5 stars.

 

5. The Beatrix Potter Collection Volume One
After reading a very heavy book, I need something super light and cute. So I picked this up and it was the best decision ever! I liked a lot of stories here. I wish I can acquire some of the individual stories with colored pages in the future because they're so cute. Definitely 4.5 out of 5 stars.

6. The Beatrix Potter Collection Volume Two
Some of the stories in volume two is actually the companion (or continuation) from some stories in volume one. And it was the cutest thing ever! I love the stories in this book even more than volume one. Love it! Definitely 5 out of 5 stars.

 

7. Windhy Puspitadewi - Heart and Soul
I went into this book expecting a cute and fluffy romance as well as a great friendship. Because that's what Kak Windhy usually does with her book. However, the story in this book is a little bit different. Erika had a slightly different attitude than the protagonist in her books usually had. And I liked it because it felt real. I'm not a huge fan of the ending so I think 3 out of 5 stars is fitting for this book.

8. Tracey Garvis Graves - On the Island
This is a book that I picked because I'm still in my 'romance/contemporary' mood. It is.. a contemporary romance story but it's also a survival story. Which is hard for me to enjoy because it made me super uncomfortable. Other than that, this book actually fall into adult category in my opinion. It could be a new adult for some people, but definitely an adult for me. Another thing that's not really comforting for me. But overall, I liked the way Anna and TJ's character grow and how this book ended. Definitely love the ending. So 4.5 out of 5 stars.

 

9. Tink and Friends Story Collection
One day I decided to read the first story in this book and the next thing I know I'm already a few stories in. Overall the illustrations are very beautiful, some of the stories are pretty funny while some other are just plain. I love to get to know more characters in the Disney Fairies. Though, unfortunately, my favorite character Silvermist is barely in the story, I still enjoy this book a lot. 4 out of 5 stars.

10. Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time
After reading the story of Tink and Friends, I'm in the mood to read another children's story so I picked this up on Bookmate. And just like the previous book, I went into several chapters already before I realized it. I liked the beginning part of this book, but not so much with the ending that I felt so rushed. So 3 out of 5 stars.


11. Seplia - Three Sisters
I've seen some people read this book and enjoy it so I decided that this will be my next read. Turns out, even though the synopsis are pretty interesting, the execution in the first part of this book is not so much. I expected to see the three sisters to work together or at least support each other but they're not. As someone with 2 sisters I think if I have any one of their problem I would go to my sisters. If not for advice, at least for support. So the story in this book is definitely not relatable for me. And the most annoying part, I felt like this book is under-edited (is that the right term?). There's just so many typo and it bugged me a lot. So only 3 out of 5 stars for this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals