June 2017 Wrap Up

Hi there!!! Happy Eid Mubarak for all of you who celebrate!!! Hopefully you (me) didn't get too full from all those yummy food and cookies :D

I don't have any book haul on June because my book hasn't arrived yet. After finished reading Wonder (spoiler for my June Wrap Up :p), I wanted to have the physical copy right away. So I checked some online bookstore and found it pretty cheap on bookdepository.com. I've finished the order right away but unfortunately I still haven't received the book until now. Hopefully it only got delayed because of the holiday and not because of other reasons.

June 2017 Wrap Up
I only managed to finish 6 books this month. Thankfully, some of them are pretty long so I'm quite glad anyway. Here they are:

 

1. Paul Kalanithi - When Breath Becomes Air
I read this book for almost 2 months. It's not a bad book, to be honest, it's just a hard book to read. The topic is pretty hard, because it's an autobiography (kinda) of a neurosurgeon being diagnosed with lung cancer. The vocabulary is even harder (for me). But at the end, it definitely made me cry because I kept remembering my dad and how it must've been very difficult for him to go through chemo. Overall, 5 out of 5 stars for this book.

2. Robert Adhi Ksp - Andy Noya: Kisah Hidupku
Another biography that I read this month. Because it's fasting month, I tried to stay clear from any young adult or adult books that might have some vulgar scenes. And so I picked up this book. It was a decent book, in my opinion. I really liked Andy's POV in so many things. His values and sense of humor is my favorite things from this book. But unfortunately there are some parts in this book that I can't enjoy much, the part when it started to talk a lot about Surya Paloh rather than Andy Noya. But other than that, it was still an enjoyable read. 4 out of 5 stars.

 

3. R.J. Palacio - Wonder
I picked up this book after watching the movie trailer. At first I can't enjoy the book so well. It was pretty slow and I can't feel any connection to the characters in the book. It wasn't until the POV changed for the first time that I started to feel more interested in the story. I liked Auggie's sense of humor better, I can connect to another character's POV better, and etc. Definitely one of my favorite book this year. 5 out of 5 stars.

4. Clara Ng - Dru dan Kisah Lima Kerajaan
This book reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland. It was so whimsical and 'fantasy'. I don't know the exact word for it but definitely feels like Alice in Wonderland. And I don't like Alice. Thus, I don't like this either. It's just too weird for me. Luckily, this book has some very wonderful and beautiful illustrations. And because of that I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

 

5. Cornelia Funke - Inkheart (Inkworld #1)
I read this book in preparation to read the second and the third book that I owned and should-be-read this year. It was pretty slow at some parts but the other parts are just so fascinating that I keep wanting to read this book every time I put it down. Overall I enjoy the story and the characters in it, however stubborn they are. So 3.5 out of 5 stars for this book.

6. Tatty Elmir - Keydo
I have a very low expectations regarding Keydo because it's one of the books that has been on my TBR for more than 2 years. However, it actually surprise me by how good it could be sometimes. I liked the story and the values that it had. Some of the characters are very memorable (Kinaaang :D) while others... are just too much for me. The thing that I can't enjoy from this book is the subplots. A LOT of them. And even though each one of them taught me something new, they're just too much and didn't wrap up nicely with the main plot. And that's why I can only give this book 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Mid-Year Reading Goals Update
I've been seeing Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag all over Youtube and it kinda inspired me to do this post. Basically I'm going to list down all of my reading goals for 2017 and how it went until June 2017. Here they are:

  • Read 52 books: 49 books
  • Read 40 new-to-me authors: 23 authors
  • Read 25.000 pages: 13.565 pages
  • Finish 6 series: 4 series
  • Read 40 paperbacks that I already owned before 2017: 29 paperbacks
  • Review 4 books/series per month: 5 months 0, 1 month 1
  • Project TBR (17): 1 book
So those are the progress of my reading goals and Project TBR for this year. I'm very satisfied with most of those, except the review goals of course. But that's not something new so I won't think too much about it :p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals