[Review] Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl

Title: Gone Girl (Goodreads)
Author: Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Crown Publishers
Published: May 2012
ISBN: 9780553419085
Pages: 560
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Start: 9 May 2015
Finish: 21 May 2015


Synopsis:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and plans are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears. As the police begin to investigate, the town golden boy parades a series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is he really a killer?

Review:
This is the book that started 2 things for me: my hatred for hyped books and spoilers, as well as my reading slump last month. I appreciate it when someone really liked a book and wanted to recommend it to others. But PLEASE don't spoil anything. It's a mystery/thriller book, for crying out loud, one that people need to experience first hand and not being spoiled at. 

There's something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold. (pg. 9)

Normally, I will appreciate a crazy, dark, and twisted story like Gone Girl with minimum 4 stars. It will be an instant favorite, potential top 3 books of the year, and so on. But those stupid spoilers... arggh. I hate myself for not liking this book but I didn't enjoy this book that much. The first part of the book went so slow, the rest parts of the book are okay but I already lost the enjoyment of guessing what happened anyway. So yeah, not a great experience.

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. There's no 'When Your Wife Goes Missing 101.' The police told me I could leave. I left. I'm just doing what they tell me." (pg. 71)

My favorite part of the book, should there be any, is the characters. I like how they're so twisted yet realistic. Because in a realistic world, nobody's perfect. The best part of the book, however, is the way Gillian Flynn write it. It's not really that easy to read, there are vocabularies that I'm not familiar at. But it was so good that I can visualize it effortlessly. 

I don't know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. If we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script. (pg. 98)

I'm not sure what else that I need to say about this book. Is it a good book? Yes, if you're into adult mystery/thriller book. Did I enjoy it? Not so much. Again, stupid spoilers. Overall I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars and I'm looking forward to read another Gillian Flynn's books. Hopefully I won't get any spoilers next time *crossing my fingers*.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals